K-8 Conference Week
November 13th – 17th
Development Committee Meeting
Monday, November 13th @ 5:00 PM
Supporting Your Student and Their Academic Habits
Wednesday, November 15th at 6:00 PM
November 20th – 24th
Wednesday, November 29th @ 5:30 PM
Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.
Supporting Your Student and Their Academic Habits, K-12: On Wednesday, November 15th, from 6:00 – 7:00 PM, our counselors will be facilitating a workshop for parents/guardians geared at building student academic habits. Topics such as time management, study habits, perseverance, and advocacy, will be covered. Come for an evening of learning and collaboration! CLICK HERE to RSVP, which is encouraged but not mandatory to attend.
Thanksgiving Break: Both campuses will be closed for Thanksgiving Break Monday, November 20th through Friday, November 24th. We look forward to welcoming staff and students back on Monday, November 27th. Our BASE program will also be closed during Thanksgiving Break.
Chili Cook-Off: We are excited for the upcoming and always popular Chili Cook-Off on Wednesday, November 29th from 5:30 – 7:00 PM on our K-8 campus. We invite every family to come sample chili and vote for their favorite! All of our families are a part of making the Chili Cook Off a success. See below for details about how each grade level is participating.
- Kindergarten – 5th Grade: CLICK HERE to sign up to bring Desserts, Drinks, Spoons, and Napkins.
- 6th – 11th Grade: CLICK HERE to sign up to bring Chili or Booth Decorations. Each grade level will decorate one shared booth and have several different chilis to sample.
- Come out, sample some chili, and vote for your favorite! The cost is $5 per person to try as much chili as you’d like. Families of four or more are just $20.00. The winner of the Chili Cook-Off will take the Golden Spoon to display with pride for the next year! All proceeds this year will benefit Joey’s Food Locker.
Movie Night: Join us for our annual movie night on December 15th at 5:30 PM. We will have one movie playing at the K-8 campus while another is playing at our High School campus. CLICK HERE to help choose the movie to be played at the K-8 campus.
Lost and Found: The lost and found at both campuses are overflowing with jackets, lunch boxes, water bottles and more! At the K-8 campus, please swing by when you’re here for your student’s conference to check for any missing items by Friday, November 17th. At the high school, students can check in the Commons during arrival, lunch, and dismissal. All unclaimed items will be donated over Thanksgiving Break.
Employment Opportunities: Have you ever thought about what it might be like to work at Westlake Charter School? Have you ever wanted a job where you could work flexible hours and days that worked best for you? If so, please read below to find out more about our current openings:
- SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: Westlake is actively looking for substitute teachers; all that is needed to earn a substitute credential is a BA/BS degree and successful background check. Our team can help you complete the paperwork and welcome you into a classroom. Plus: All new substitute teachers will have one paid-day where they shadow one of our amazing teachers! CLICK HERE to complete the form, and a member of our team will reach out and get in contact with you. Can’t wait to see you! Let’s Explore!
Enrichment sign-ups: Winter Explorer Enrichment programs are beginning now! CLICK HERE to see the catalog of course offerings and information about how to sign up.
K-8 Conferences: Conference week is November 13th-17th. CLICK HERE to schedule your conference. The online scheduler is available through November 12th so reserve your conference time now. Our goal is for 100% of families to sign up for and attend their student’s conference. As of Friday, November 10th, we have 78% of families signed up for a conference. CLICK HERE for instructions on how to use the online scheduler. Kindergarten will dismiss at 1:00 PM and 1st–8th grade will dismiss at 1:30 PM. Our BASE program will be open after school until 6:00 PM each day.
End of the First Semester: The high school semester will end on December 21st. Please remember, if a student finishes the semester with an IE (insufficient evidence) they will not receive credit for that course. Students can take advantage of resources like Flex Blocks and the Learning Lab at lunch and after school for additional support to finish the semester strong.
Save the Date:
- November 29th @ 5:30 PM: Chili Cook-Off
- December 6th @ 6pm: WAVE Board Meeting
- December 15th: Movie Night – Join us for our annual movie night on December 15th at 5:30 PM. We will have one movie playing at the K-8 campus while another is playing at our High School campus. CLICK HERE to help choose the movie to be played at the K-8 campus.
- February 3rd: K-5 Family Dance
Spirit Store: CLICK HERE to purchase Westlake gear.
Kudos: Shout out to everyone who attended our WAVE board meeting! It’s a privilege and honor to collaborate with the families that volunteer their time to make our school special.