Chili Cook Off
Wednesday, November 2nd @ 5:30PM
WCHS Homecoming Dance
Saturday, November 5th @ 7PM
Coffee Talk – K-8 Campus
Wednesday, November 9th @ 8:30AM
WCS Governance & Board Meetings
Thursday, November 10th @ 5:30PM & 6:30PM
Veterans Day – No School
Friday, November 11th
Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.
October 31: Please be sure to send your explorers to school in uniform on Monday, October 31st. This is not a free dress or costume day. Please also refrain from sending your students to school with candy as it can be a distraction. Thank you!
Chili Cook Off – THIS WEDNESDAY: We are excited to have our Chili Cookoff as a part of our Homecoming Spirit Week. Chili Cookoff will be held on Wednesday, November 2nd from 5:30-7:00 PM on our K-8 campus. We invite every family to come sample chili and vote for their favorite! It is $5 per person to try as much chili as you want. Families of 4 or more are $20.00. We can’t wait to see our community out for the restart of our Chili Cookoff fun! See below how each grade level is participating:
- Kindergarten to 5th grade: CLICK HERE to sign up to bring Spoons, Bowls, Napkins, Desserts, and Drinks.
- 6th to 10th grade: CLICK HERE to sign up to bring Chili or Booth Decorations. Each grade level (not each advisory as in previous years) will have a booth that will be decorated and have several different chilis to sample.
- Come on out to the Chili Cook Off to vote on your favorite chili. It is $5 per person to try as much chili as you want. Families of 4 or more are $20.00. We can’t wait to see our community out for the restart of our Chili Cookoff fun!
Olympic Triathlon: The 15th annual Westlake Charter School Olympic Triathlon is off to a great start! The Triathlon is not only our biggest fundraiser of the year, but an event to showcase what makes our school unique. It is about celebrating and supporting our enriched educational opportunities which includes specialities at our K-8, athletics, clubs, and activities. On Wednesday, November 16th our students will participate in a special day of learning on the Olympic Triathlon Event Day. This day is completely staffed and planned by our parent volunteers alongside some fabulous WCS staff members. We need your help to make this day fun and successful for our school and students. Please be on the lookout for an event day sign up soon. In the meantime, if you would like to get involved with planning please CLICK HERE and fill out the form to be contacted. We currently need help planning the obstacle course, art project, and Spanish games.
- You can get started fundraising now! Please visit http://pledgestar.com/westlakecharter to set up a family donation page. You can customize it with a student name(s), a photo, and donation goal. It is easy to quickly request sponsors via email or text explaining why WCS is amazing and how they can help us meet our goal this year.
- Our school wide goal is to have each student contribute $180 which represents $1 for every day of school. We encourage families to give what they can whether it is less or more than the goal amount. We are striving for 100% participation from all students to contribute at least $5 towards our Olympic Triathlon Fundraising efforts. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Over the years families have come up with many creative ways to fundraise during the Olympic Triathlon. Some ideas include: making and selling items, a lemonade or hot cocoa stand, sending a video about why they love WCS to potential donors, garage sales, and more. You can raise money any way that works for your family!
Run to Feed the Hungry: Join Westlake Charter School on Thanksgiving morning in a Sacramento tradition – Run to Feed the Hungry. Westlake has formed its first official team for this 5k/10k (your choice!) road race that benefits the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services. The cost is $50/adult and $35/teens under 18. Registrants will receive a technical shirt and an official chip time. We hope to see you there! CLICK HERE to register.
Art Update: While Mrs. Morgan has taken a leave of absence this year, we are excited to announce that our very own Cotys Sandefur is our new Art teacher. Ms. Sandefur has been at Westlake since 2019 as a substitute and long-term substitute teacher while she has completed her bachelor’s degree in studio art. She is an awarded artist who is currently working toward her MFA of visual art. Cotys is so excited to continue the art legacy at Westlake Charter School!
Lost and Found: Our lost and found is overflowing with jackets, lunch boxes, water bottles and more! Please check for any missing items by Friday, November 18th. All unclaimed items will be donated over November Break.
K-8 Conferences: Save the date for our K-8 Conference week – November 14th to November 18th. Remember, during conference week we will dismiss early to allow time to meet with each of our families – Kindergarten will dismiss at 1:00 PM and 1st–8th grade will dismiss at 1:30 PM. Our BASE program will be open after school until 6:00 PM each day. CLICK HERE to schedule your conference starting on 10/31. CLICK HERE for instructions on how to sign up.
Homecoming Dance: Our WCHS Homecoming Dance is quickly approaching on November 5th from 7PM to 10PM at our K-8 Campus, 2680 Mabry Drive. Please see the information below:
- Tickets can be purchased 10/31- 11/4 on campus for $10.00. Please see Mrs. Grimaldi
- Students can be dropped off at the dance starting at 7 PM
- Students will transition to the front of campus at the end of the dance at 10 PM
- If a student leaves the dance early they cannot come back into the dance
- Desserts and Drinks will be available at no charge during the dance
- Homecoming Pictures:
- For our Homecoming Dance this year we will have a professional photographer. CLICK HERE for the form and pre-order your student’s pictures. Students can also order pictures at the dance.
Homecoming Spirit Week:
- Monday 10/31: Adam Sandler Day
- Tuesday 11/1: Extreme Class Color Day
- Wednesday 11/2: Dress as Your Type Day
- Thursday 11/3: Throwback Thursday pick your favorite decade
- Friday 11/4: Green Out Day (Enchanted Garden) Rally during Advisory
Volunteer Page: The WAVE Volunteer Page is a great place to find out about upcoming events, sign up to volunteer, log your volunteer hours, and check out what our amazing WCS volunteers have been working on. Volunteer hours include anything you were doing to support our staff, students, and community. This includes attending WAVE meetings, taking home projects, field lessons, coaching a WCS team, working at an event, opening car doors during drop off, buying treats for the treat walk, making chili for the Chili Cook-Off, and so much more!
WAVE Meeting Canceled: The WAVE meeting scheduled for November 2nd is canceled. We hope you will join us for some delicious food at the Chili Cook-off on November 2nd at 5:30pm!
Kudos: Thank you to all of the families and staff who continue to support WAVE’s restaurant fundraisers each month. The money we bring in helps support our free community events throughout the year. Way to go, Explorers!