Red Ribbon Week
Monday, October 24th – Friday, October 28th
Chili Cook Off
Wednesday, November 2nd @ 5:30PM
WAVE Meeting – K-8 Campus
Wednesday, November 2nd @ 6PM
Coffee Talk – K-8 Campus
Wednesday, November 9th @ 8:30AM
WCS Governance & Board Meetings
Thursday, November 10th @ 5:30PM & 6:30PM
Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.
Chili Cook Off: We are excited to have our Chili Cookoff as a part of our Homecoming Spirit Week. Chili Cookoff will be held on Wednesday, November 2nd from 5:30-7:00 PM on our K-8 campus. We invite every family to come sample chili and vote for their favorite! It is $5 per person to try as much chili as you want. Families of 4 or more are $20.00. We can’t wait to see our community out for the restart of our Chili Cookoff fun! See below how each grade level is participating:
- Kindergarten to 5th grade: CLICK HERE to sign up to bring Spoons, Bowls, Napkins, Desserts, and Drinks.
- 6th to 10th grade: CLICK HERE to sign up to bring Chili or Booth Decorations. Each grade level (not each advisory as in previous years) will have a booth that will be decorated and have several different chilis to sample.
- Come on out to the Chili Cook Off to vote on your favorite chili. It is $5 per person to try as much chili as you want. Families of 4 or more are $20.00. We can’t wait to see our community out for the restart of our Chili Cookoff fun!
Red Ribbon Week: From October 24 through October 28, Westlake Charter School will be participating in activities for Red Ribbon Week. This is a national school-centered activity related to making healthy choices by avoiding drugs and alcohol. Parents can team with WCS by talking to their students about what they learn during Red Ribbon Week and opening conversations with students about making positive choices throughout their lives.
Olympic Triathlon: The 15th annual Westlake Charter School Olympic Triathlon is not only our biggest fundraiser of the year, but an event to showcase what makes our school unique. It is about celebrating and supporting our enriched educational opportunities which includes specialities at our K-8, athletics, clubs, and activities. On Wednesday, November 16th our students will participate in a special day of learning on the Olympic Triathlon Event Day. This day is completely staffed and planned by our parent volunteers alongside some fabulous WCS staff members.
- You can get started fundraising now! Please visit http://pledgestar.com/westlakecharter to set up a family donation page. You can customize it with a student name(s), a photo, and donation goal. It is easy to quickly request sponsors via email or text explaining why WCS is amazing and how they can help us meet our goal this year.
- Our school wide goal is to have each student contribute $180 which represents $1 for every day of school. We encourage families to give what they can whether it is less or more than the goal amount. We are striving for 100% participation from all students to contribute at least $5 towards our Olympic Triathlon Fundraising efforts.
- Over the years families have come up with many creative ways to fundraise during the Olympic Triathlon. Some ideas include: making and selling items, a lemonade or hot cocoa stand, sending a video about why they love WCS to potential donors, garage sales, and more. You can raise money any way that works for your family!
Run to Feed the Hungry: Join Westlake Charter School on Thanksgiving morning in a Sacramento tradition – Run to Feed the Hungry. Westlake has formed its first official team for this 5k/10k (your choice!) road race that benefits the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services. The cost is $50/adult and $35/teens under 18. Registrants will receive a technical shirt and an official chip time. We hope to see you there! CLICK HERE to register.
Walktober is here: Throughout the month of October we encourage all students to walk to school at least 3 blocks or join our Walking School Bus and have their JIBE trip card scanned. All participating students will win a Limited Edition 2022 Walktober Badge and classes with at least 25% participation will win a party-in-a-box for their entire class. Be sure to walk and have your card scanned as many times as you can between October 17th and 28th. Let’s get moving!
K-8 Conferences: Save the date for our K-8 Conference week – November 14th to November 18th. Remember, during conference week we will dismiss early to allow time to meet with each of our families – Kindergarten will dismiss at 1:00 PM and 1st–8th grade will dismiss at 1:30 PM. Our BASE program will be open after school until 6:00 PM each day.
NWEA Family Reports: NWEA Family Reports for fall NWEA testing at the high school will be sent home on Friday, October 28th. CLICK HERE to access the NWEA Family Toolkit for more information on NWEA testing. Any questions regarding NWEA testing or the Family Report can be directed to Director of Curriculum and Instruction Jen Callau at [email protected].
Homecoming Volunteers Needed: Westlake Charter High School Families we are recruiting volunteers for Set-Up, Clean-Up, and dessert donations for our 2022 Homecoming Dance on Saturday, November 5th. We are also looking for donations for some of the decorations and the Candy Table through our WCHS Homecoming Wish list on Amazon. Thank you in advance for helping our students have an amazing Homecoming dance experience!
- CLICK HERE to sign-up to volunteer for set up/clean up
- CLICK HERE to look at our WCHS Homecoming Wish list on Amazon
Homecoming Spirit Week:
- Monday 10/31: Adam Sandler Day
- Tuesday 11/1: Extreme Class Color Day
- Wednesday 11/2: Dress as Your Type Day
- Thursday 11/3: Throwback Thursday pick your favorite decade
- Friday 11/4: Green Out Day (Enchanted Garden)
Chipotle Dinner Fundraiser: Our next restaurant fundraiser is coming up on Wednesday, October 26th from 5-9pm at Chipotle (3830 Truxel Road). There are 3 easy ways to participate. CLICK HERE to show the cashier a digital flier prior to paying, CLICK HERE to order online using code KXZQCGM or simply mention the WAVE fundraiser prior to paying. We will receive 33% of the total sales. Thank you for the continued support!
Volunteer Page: The WAVE Volunteer Page is a great place to find out about upcoming events, sign up to volunteer, log your volunteer hours, and check out what our amazing WCS volunteers have been working on. Volunteer hours include anything you were doing to support our staff, students, and community. This includes attending WAVE meetings, taking home projects, field lessons, coaching a WCS team, working at an event, opening car doors during drop off, buying treats for the treat walk, making chili for the Chili Cook-Off, and so much more!
Kudos: Thank you to all of the families who joined us this past week at the October Coffee Talk and WAVE Meeting. It was great to connect with other families, plan upcoming events, and celebrate the incredible things going on at WCS. See you next month!