WCS Development Meeting
Monday, August 15th @ 4:30PM
WAVE Parent Meeting
Wednesday, August 17th @ 6:00PM
WAVE Coffee Talk
Friday, August 19th @ 8:30AM K-8 Campus
K-8 Back to School Night
Wednesday, August 24th
WCHS Back to School Night
Wednesday, August 31st
Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.
Health and Safety Guidebook: CLICK HERE for our updated Health and Safety Guidebook. If your student tests positive for COVID-19, please CLICK HERE to notify our contact tracing team who will reach out to you with return to school timelines.
Back to School Night: Save the date for our K-8 Back to School Night on Wednesday, August 24th, and our High School Back to School Night on Wednesday, August 31st. More details to follow in the K-8 and 9-12 sections below.
Physician Authorization Form: If your student needs medication during school hours, please CLICK HERE for the Physician’s Authorization for Medication at School.
Lunch is Free: Families, please remind your students that, although they are asked to enter a pin number for lunch, no student will be charged for lunch. We have heard that some students considered not eating because they assumed that their family would be charged when they pinned in their account number. Just a reminder, lunch is free for all students.
Free and Reduced Price Lunch: Free and Reduced Priced Meals Forms: Families, each year it is incredibly important to our school that we are able to account for every student during this form collection process. We are authorized by the Natomas Unified School District and a part of our partnership is that we commit to collecting these forms from every family. So, please, complete this form for every student in your family. While meals remain free for all students this school year, this is important data for our Charter authorization.
- CLICK HERE to complete the FRPM tracking form which will allow us to ensure everyone has received this information. Even if you don’t think you qualify for free or reduced priced meals, please complete the form for our tracking purposes.
- CLICK HERE to complete the FRPM application.
Back to School Shopping: We know many families are starting to think about Back to School shopping. We wanted to give a few guidelines to help:
- School Supplies: Each grade level has purchased all the school supplies that your students will need for the entire year. We get a great discount as a school, so we like to purchase everything in advance. We ask each student for a $25 donation toward school supplies. CLICK HERE to donate toward school supplies and grade level field lessons.
Family Handbook: Please be sure to CLICK HERE to read our WCHS Family Handbook, and/or CLICK HERE to read our WCS K-8 Family Handbook which include important information such as our WCS Core Values, dress code information, attendance, health and safety protocols and so much more!
Kinder families: We hope your student had a great first week of school! Just a reminder that the regular dismissal times begin this week. Your student will be dismissed at 2:45pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and on Wednesday they will dismiss at 1pm!
K-8 Back to School Night: Our K-8 Back to School Night is on Wednesday, August 24th. To the best of our ability, we would like to keep this event distraction free by encouraging families to make this a non-student event. This will allow for teachers and families to connect in a distraction-free environment. For families that need supervision, our BASE program will be available to help, however, space is potentially limited. If you know that you will need childcare to attend this event, please CLICK HERE to RSVP for BASE as soon as possible so that we can properly prepare.
- Kindergarten through 5th grade families: We have two identical sessions, you only need to attend one. Session one is 6:00-6:30 pm, session two is 6:40-7:10 pm. Art and Spanish teachers will be in their classrooms, and PE will be on the field from 6:00-7:10pm – please stop by!
- 6th-8th grade families: We have two identical sessions, you only need to attend one. Session one is 5:00-5:40 pm, session two is 6:00-6:40 pm. During these sessions, you will meet with your student’s core teachers and specialty teachers. Your students are creating your schedule for the evening.
Arrival Dismissal Reminers/FAQs: Families when dropping off or picking up students please help keep our Explorers safe by pulling all the way forward and waiting for someone to help your student to and from your car. We appreciate your support on this.
- K-8 BASE Program: Our BASE team is prepared for a fantastic year! Our Before and After School Explorer program will be available beginning at 7:00 AM each morning. BASE will also be available after school each day until 6:00 PM and will accept drop-ins. CLICK HERE to register your child(ren) for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Arrival and Dismissal:. CLICK HERE for the Arrival and Dismissal Quick Glance.
- School Dismissal Manager: Our K-8 campus uses a program called School Dismissal Manager to determine how students will be dismissed each day. Parent/Guardian log ins and next steps were emailed Friday, August 5th. Please email [email protected] with questions you may have.
- Walking School Bus: Join our daily Walking School Bus! The adult supervised walk departs from Burberry Park, Monday-Friday, rain or shine. Students can be dropped off between 7:45 and 8am to allow plenty of time to safely walk to our K-8 campus. Not only do families avoid and decrease congestion near campus, but students also earn points to use towards prizes. We need volunteers to walk and check students in near our campus entrances. Please email [email protected] to get involved today!
Dress Code: Families we need your help. As you know Westlake Charter is a uniform school. We ask that you help your student(s) come to school dressed in their uniforms and meet the dress code that is detailed in our 22-23 K-8 Family Handbook. CLICK HERE for the 22-23 K-8 Family Handbook.
Spirit Shirt Exchange: If your student needs to exchange their Friday spirit shirt for a different size, please email [email protected] to check for availability.
WCHS Back to School Night: Our WCHS Back to School Night is on Wednesday, August 31st, beginning at 6:00 PM and concluding at 7:30 PM. To the best of our ability, we would like to keep this event distraction free by encouraging families to make this a non-student event. This will allow for teachers and families to connect in a distraction-free environment. Families will rotate through their student’s classrooms following the schedule below:
- 6:00 PM – 6:10 PM Advisory 10 mins
- 6:15 PM – 6:30 PM 1st Period: 15 mins
- 6:35 PM – 6:50 PM 2nd Period: 15 mins
- 6:55 PM – 7:10 PM 3rd Period: 15 mins
- 7:15 PM – 7:30 PM 4th Period: 15 mins
- Optional Reception in the Oasis: 7:30 PM – 7:45 PM
Home Games: Our first home games of the 22-23 fall season will be on Friday, August 19th! Our boys soccer team will play at 4:00 PM against Futures, and our girls Varsity Volleyball team will play at 5:00 PM against Futures. Both games will be home games and will take place on our Mabry campus.
Arrival and Dismissal: Each day our campus will open at 8:00 AM. Students will enter through our Commons door in the back of our campus. Our first bell rings at 8:27 AM. Students who arrive before the first bell will be able to receive breakfast and be in the Student Commons. Students will dismiss at 3:45 PM or 1:29 PM on early release day.
Chromebook Distribution: This year, WCHS students will be receiving a Chromebook that they will take with them to each class and bring back and forth from home and school daily. Chromebooks were distributed on Friday to any student who had a completed agreement. If you have not yet completed the agreement. CLICK HERE to complete it and your student will receive their device on Monday, August 15th.
Monthly WAVE Meeting: Once a month we host a parent/guardian meeting to discuss community building activities, fundraising, upcoming events, and so much more. If you are interested in learning more about WAVE or finding out how to get involved, this is a great opportunity to ask questions and learn more about our fantastic parent group. Please join us on Wednesday, August 17th at 6:00pm at the K-8 campus in the covered dining area. A copy of the meeting agenda can be found by CLICKING HERE.
Spirit Store: Our Spirit Store is open! CLICK HERE to choose from over 70 items. We have added new items to our store including a blanket, women’s v-neck shirts, and mugs. WAVE does not have an inventory so please be sure to check sizing information before placing your order. All items are made to order and shipped directly to you. We cannot wait to see this gear on campus and out in the community!
K-8 Classroom Ambassadors (formerly known as Room Parents): We need a Classroom Ambassador for each and every K-8 class (advisory for middle school). Classroom Ambassadors will work with teachers to plan special events/requests, communicate with parents regarding volunteer needs, and support WAVE in the classroom. This position will also work with our Grade Level Liaisons to build community through events and activities. This is a great way to stay involved. Please CLICK HERE to volunteer today. Thank you!
Kudos: We have so many things to celebrate this week. Meet the Teacher, orientations, morning line-up, and kinder conferences were definitely highlights! Huge thanks to our incredible staff for getting 1,250 students back to school at two different campuses this week. It was an incredible week at Westlake Charter School!