Upcoming Dates

• WCS Governance & Board Meetings

Thursday, May 12th @ 5:30PM & 6:30PM 

• WAVE Game Night – in the Oasis at WCHS

Friday, May 13th @ 6PM 

• SPACE4GIRLS Weather Balloon launch (Weather Permitting)

Saturday, May 14th @ 11AM

• High School Block Party Dance

Saturday, May 14th @ 6PM

• K8 Open House – In-Person

Wednesday, May 18th @ 5:30PM-7PM

Celebrations

Our 17th Annual International Festival brought our WCS community back together and was a huge success! Thank you so much to every volunteer who assisted in making this event possible; and especially Becca Montes our festival chair! Thank you to those that attended, donated, helped set up, and even hosted booths! What a day of celebration for the Westlake Charter School community! #WestlakeCharter

High School FLEX Blocks are a great chance for students to re-engage with work.  They are also a great chance for students to extend their learning! Our Planting a Revolution elective and some of our Spanish students were filling the halls with wonderful smells during FLEX Blocks this week! #WCSJoyfulLearning

High School FLEX Blocks are a great chance for students to re-engage with work. They are also a great chance for students to extend their learning! Our Planting a Revolution elective and some of our Spanish students were filling the halls with wonderful smells during FLEX Blocks this week! #WCSJoyfulLearning

Thank you Explorer families for appreciating us this week during National Staff Appreciation week. Every snack, note, joke, treat, gift and card filled our staff with gratitude. A special shoutout to our WAVE parent volunteers for bringing breakfast, lunch, snacks, and plants to our campuses! #WCSGratitude

Announcements

Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.

Health and safety: Please see our Health and Safety Guidebook and our COVID Dashboard on the Return to Schools website.

School Start and End Times 2022/23: Following Senate Bill 328, our high school start time will push back starting the 2022-23 school year. Please see grade level regular day start and end times below:

• Kindergarten: 8:30 AM – 2:45 PM
  • 1st-5th Grade: 8:30 AM – 3:15 PM
  • 6th-8th Grade: 8:15 AM – 3:15 PM
  • 9th-10th Grade: 8:30 AM – 3:45 PM

End of Year Events: During the months of May and June there are so many exciting events happening at Westlake Charter School! CLICK HERE to see the end of year events at a glance. 

BASE Summer Camp Registration: Great news! We have enough interested families to open a BASE summer camp! For planning purposes, kindly CLICK HERE to register anyone in your family who will be joining us this summer. Please complete one form for each student. Email [email protected] with any questions.

Here’s what you need to know:

• Dates: Monday-Friday,  June 13 – July 1 and July 11 – August 5
  • Hours: 8:00am-6:00pm
  • Rates: $8.50 hourly with a $60 daily maximum per student
  • Pre-payment is not required for attendance and drop-ins are welcome.

The Expedition: CLICK HERE to check out our high school newspaper! The Expedition was created and edited by our Westlake Charter High School journalism students.

WAVE Game Night: Please join us on Friday, May 13th from 6-8pm in the High School Oasis for a fun evening of games, snacks and community. We will set up over a dozen games including cornhole, giant Connect Four, giant Jenga, Ladder Ball and many more. We will have snacks and drinks available, but families are welcome to bring dinner out to the event. We hope to see you there!

Open House:  We are excited to host our Open Houses in person this year! As we prepare for Open House, this year’s theme is “A day in the life!” Typically our Open House is a demonstration of work samples from across an entire year. This year, we realize that families have not been able to visit classrooms, so we want families to see how classes look on a “Typical Day.” Each classroom will showcase some student work, and families will experience school with their students in a 15-20 minute engagement or tour. 

• K-8 Open House: Wednesday, May 18th from 5:30 to 7:00 PM
  • High school Open House: Wednesday May 25th from 5:30 to 7:00 PM

We want our families to visit and tour our classrooms! Many grade levels have developed independent tours, so that families can walk through classrooms with their students. Teachers may be stationed outside to mingle and connect with families. 

This is our first in-person Open House in several years, and we would like this to be a comfortable and safe experience for all of our families. With this in mind please help reconnect our community by supporting the following guidelines:

• Masks are strongly recommended indoors, if you see a classroom is full, consider waiting patiently before entering the classroom.
  • Please visit only your current classrooms.
  • Meet and greet with teachers in spaces outside the classroom.

Yearbook Orders: The 2021-2022 Westlake Charter School  yearbooks are available to order! The K8 yearbook cost is $20 and the High School yearbook cost is $25. We have a limited quantity so don’t delay in placing your order!

• K-8: CLICK HERE to order your K-8 yearbook. Yearbook orders must be placed by May 23rd. Yearbooks are expected to be delivered to students on campus on June 6th.
  • High School: CLICK HERE to order your High School yearbook. Yearbook orders must be placed by May 31st. 

High School SPACE4GIRLS Launch: Join our Space4Girls Club as they launch a Weather Balloon that will travel to space with a science experiment that our students created.  The launch will take place at the SMUD MOSAC Museum on Saturday May 14th from 11AM-1 PM.  Countdown begins at 11:59 AM.  (The event will not be able to happen if the winds are too strong, we will let families know closer to the event if we have to reschedule) 

High School Block Party Dance: Our High School Block Party Dance is Saturday, May 14th from 6-9 PM in the Oasis of our High School campus! Tickets are free and students can sign up to attend in the Commons during lunch next week. This is our last dance of the year, attire is casual.  We will have food trucks for students to purchase food during the event. 

After School Enrichment Survey: We are planning our AS Live Enrichment program for next year and want your input. Please CLICK HERE to let us know about your experience with Enrichment this year so we can shape next year’s program around what our community wants.

In case you missed it…

Reporting COVID-19 Positive Tests and Exposure: If your student has tested positive to COVID-19, or has been exposed to someone who tested positive off campus, please CLICK HERE to complete this form and our contact tracing team will follow up. 

COVID Symptoms: If your student has any COVID-19 symptoms, please keep them home until they are symptom free for 24 hours. Symptoms include: Fever over 100.4, sore throat, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, muscle/body aches, cough, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell. If your student has any of those symptoms, please keep them home until they are symptom-free for 24 hours and email [email protected] to report their absence. 

Volunteer Hours Log: Now is the time to log all of your hard earned hours for the 2021-22 school year. Hours can be logged for attending WAVE meetings, chaperoning field lessons, volunteering at International Festival, attending Coffee Talks, preparing class work at home or any other activity supporting Westlake Charter School.  Logging hours not only goes hand in hand with our Westlake Charter School Mission, but it is an integral part of the Charter Renewal process. Thank you for taking the time to log your hours by Clicking HERE

Kudos: Staff Appreciation Week was amazing on both campuses! Thank you for all of the donations and help making this week wonderful for our staff. Thank you for sending in notes, supplies and gifts for our staff members as well. Our staff was definitely feeling our appreciation and support!

Follow Westlake Charter