In Person Coffee Talk – High School Campus
Tuesday, November 9th @ 6PM
Veterans Day – NO SCHOOL
Thursday, November 11th
Development Committee Meeting
Monday, November 15th @ 4:30PM
K-8 Conference Week – Early Dismissal for K-8 students
Monday, November 15th to Friday, November 19th
WCS Finance Committee & Charter Impact Meeting
Thursday, November 18th @ 5:00PM & 6:00PM
Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.
COVID-19 Vaccine Approval for children ages 5 to 11: On Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 the COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 was approved for use in California. CLICK HERE to find the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Press Release.
- Per the Sacramento County Public Health (SCPH): Families looking to vaccinate children ages 5 to 11 can visit myturn.ca.gov or contact their primary care provider for available appointments, however it will likely be a few more days until appointments for this age group are widely available. Some providers, including retail pharmacies, are already scheduling appointments on their websites, but many providers are still receiving their pediatric vaccine supply and making final preparations to vaccinate 5 to 11 year olds. SCPH expects most providers to begin vaccinating children ages 5 to 11 next week.
NUSD COVID Vaccine Clinics:
November 12th Clinics:
- Urgent Care Now Natomas (7am – 1pm): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/ucnncovidvax111221
- 12 years old and up at NHS (3pm – 6pm): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/nusdcovidvax111221
- 5 to 11 years old, 3-6pm at NHS: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5to11nusdcovidclinic111221
December 3rd Clinics:
- Urgent Care Now Natomas (7am- 1pm): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/ucnncovidvax120321
- 12 years old and up at NHS (3pm- 6pm): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/nusdcovidvax120321
- 5 to 11 years old, 3-6pm at NHS: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5to11nusdcovidclinic120321
Food Drive: In partnership with the Natomas Chamber of Commerce, Westlake Charter School has Food Donation stations in the reception areas of our K-8 and High School campus. Food donations will benefit families in our community, and will be made available to the Stanford Settlement and Joey’s Food Locker. Please consider donating canned & non-perishable food items by Friday, November 19th, 2021.
In Person Coffee Talk: Tuesday, November 9th at 6:00 PM join us for our in-person K-12 Coffee Talk at our High School Campus, 4400 E Commerce Way, Sacramento, CA 95834! This is a great opportunity to hear from our admin team and WAVE parent leaders, as well as ask questions and give feedback. CLICK HERE to reserve a table for up to 4 people. Seating is limited, so reserve your table today! If we run out of tables, or if you’d prefer to view from the comfort of your own home via YouTube, CLICK HERE to join the Virtual Coffee Talk. CLICK HERE to submit celebrations, questions and comments.
Virtual K-8 Parent Teacher Conferences: Parent Teacher Conferences will be held November 15th-19th. Canyon Creek, our online scheduler, went live to all families on November 1st. These conferences will be virtual. Please use these links to schedule your parent teacher conference.
Olympic Triathlon: The 14th annual Westlake Charter School Olympic Triathlon kicks off Tuesday, November 9th! The Triathlon is not only our biggest fundraiser of the year but an event to showcase what makes our school unique. It is about celebrating and supporting our enriched educational opportunities which includes specialities at our K-8, athletics, clubs and activities. Our annual Olympic Triathlon allows WCS to celebrate these incredible opportunities and offer our family, friends and community a way to support this work.
- On Friday, December 10th our students will participate in a special day of learning on the Olympic Triathlon Event Day.
- You can get started fundraising today! Please visit http://pledgestar.com/westlakecharter to set up a family donation page. You can customize it with student name(s), a photo and donation goal. It is easy to quickly request sponsors via email or text explaining why WCS is amazing and how they can help us meet our goal this year.
- Our school wide goal is to have each student contribute $180 which represents $1 for every day of school. We encourage families to give what they can whether it is less or more than the goal amount. We are striving for 100% participation from all students to contribute at least $5 towards our Olympic Triathlon Fundraising efforts.
- Over the years families have come up with many creative ways to fundraise during the Olympic Triathlon. Some ideas include: making and selling items, a lemonade or hot cocoa stand, sending a video about why they love WCS to potential donors, garage sales and more. You can raise money any way that works for your family!
- Be on the lookout for information regarding the event, prizes, in person collection days and volunteer opportunities. Thank you for your continued support!
Veterans Day/BASE CLOSED: School and BASE will be closed on Thursday, November 11th in observance of Veterans Day.
No BASE over Thanksgiving break: We do not have enough interested families to open BASE over Thanksgiving break. BASE will be closed November 22-26.
BASE Camps Over Winter Break: This is the last chance to let us know if you’d like to send your Explorer(s) to BASE over winter break. If you have not yet filled out the form and are interested in BASE over winter break, CLICK HERE to let us know by Monday, November 8.
Substitute Teaching Positions – Update: If you’ve taken college-level coursework in Reading, Writing and Mathematics – even if you have yet to earn a degree – you might be eligible to substitute teach. CLICK HERE if you are willing to get paid as a Substitute Teacher for a day or even part of a day. Let us know you are interested and we will work with you through the process. Thank you!
In case you missed it…
Weekly Surveillance Testing After School: It’s not too late to participate in the weekly surveillance testing for students. CLICK HERE to pre-register your student. Testing takes place on Wednesdays – at the high school from 1:00-1:30PM and at the K-8 from 1:30-2:00 PM. Email [email protected] with any questions.
COVID Symptoms: If your student has any COVID-19 symptoms, please keep them home until they are symptom free for 24 hours. Symptoms include: Fever over 100.4, sore throat, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, muscle/body aches, cough, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell. If your student has any of those symptoms, please keep them home until they are symptom-free for 24 hours and email [email protected] to report their absence.
Chipotle Fundraiser: Our next restaurant fundraiser is coming up on Wednesday, November 16th from 4-8pm at Chipotle (2800 Del Paso Road). There are 3 easy ways to participate. CLICK HERE to show the cashier a digital flyer prior to paying, CLICK HERE to order online using code FE2VD6E or simply mention the WAVE fundraiser prior to paying. We will receive 33% of the total sales. Thank you for the continued support!
Amazon Smile: If you are an Amazon shopper please shop through https://smile.amazon.com/ and add Westlake Charter School as your charitable organization. Once enrolled, Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. This feature is also available on the app now. Thank you for the continued support!
Kudos: Every Wednesday our students have the opportunity to participate in surveillance testing on campus. Families have raved about how quick, convenient and reassuring the testing has been each and every week. Thank you to the WCS staff and administration for making this available to our families!