Monday, September 6th
Tuesday, September 7th @ 6:30 PM
WCS Governance Meeting
Thursday, September 9th @ 5:30 PM
WCS Board Meeting
Thursday,September 9th @ 6:30 PM
WCS Development Meeting
Monday, September 20th @ 5 PM
Westlake Weekly Podcast: CLICK HERE for this week’s Westlake Weekly Podcast.
K12 Traffic Campaign: Families, please use waystowestlake.com to plan your safe route to school for arrival and dismissal. This week we are launching our Traffic Safety Campaign and all Explorers will be focused on the following three areas:
- Respect all traffic laws. Help keep traffic flowing. If you are slowing down traffic to save time, the time you save is being paid by others.
- Park responsibility. Do not block driveways, crosswalks, or intersections. If you couldn’t walk away from your car all day, then you have probably parked incorrectly.
- Use the Crosswalks. You may think that it is saving time, but jaywalking creates tension and stress for drivers making accidents more likely.
BASE October Break: Families, we want to hear from you: are you interested in sending your Explorer(s) to BASE over October break? If so, please CLICK HERE to let us know. Your responses will help us decide if we offer an October break camp and what it will look like.
School Supplies Donations: Thank you, families. We are 37% of our goal for school supply donations with our Kindergarten families leading the way at 75% of their grade level goal. CLICK HERE to make your School Supplies donation today.
Parent Portals: We are getting ready to launch our parent portals for our 4th-9th grade students, which will be a way that families can have up-to-date information on student grades.
- 4th-8th Grade: Our 4th-8th grade student grade information will be in Illuminate. Logins will be sent home next week in advisory and homeroom.
- 9th Grade: Our 9th grade student grade information will be in Infinite Campus. Parent login information will be available in mid-September.
In case you missed it…
Calling all Families: We Need Your Help: There is a substitute teacher shortage in California. Every school is struggling to find substitute teachers – and this has become more important than ever due to quarantine and symptom restrictions. So, we have two asks:
- Does anyone in your family have a 30 day teaching credential and would like to sign up to be a Westlake Charter School Substitute?
- Don’t have a credential, but are willing to get one? If you have a bachelor’s degree, you’re halfway there! Our team will help walk you through the process of obtaining a credential, and once you’ve received your credential and have started working, WCS will reimburse you for costs associated with obtaining it!
- Click HERE to read more and begin the process!
COVID Symptoms: If your student has any COVID-19 symptoms, please keep them home until they are symptom free for 24 hours. Symptoms include: Fever over 100.4, sore throat, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, muscle/body aches, cough, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell. If your student has any of those symptoms, please keep them home until they are symptom-free for 24 hours and email [email protected] to report their absence.
COVID Testing Availability: We will continue to partner with NUSD to provide, free, optional COVID testing each week for students and staff. Furthermore, WCS will provide on campus rapid response testing for students by family request. Please look for information as we get closer to the first week of school. CLICK HERE to make an appointment.
Monthly WAVE Meeting: Once a month we host a parent/guardian meeting to discuss community building activities, fundraising, events, and so much more. If you are interested in learning more about WAVE or finding out how to get involved, this is a great opportunity to ask questions and learn more about our fantastic parent group. Please join us on Tuesday, September 7th at 6:30pm by CLICKING HERE. A copy of the meeting agenda can be found by CLICKING HERE.
Panda Express Fundraiser: Our first restaurant fundraiser is coming up on Wednesday, September 8th from 10am-9pm at Panda Express (2940 Del Paso Road). Order online using code 327256 or in-person using this FLYER and WAVE will receive 20% back. It’s that easy! Pickup a quick dinner out and raise money for WAVE. Save the date for our next fundraiser on September 22nd at Dos Coyotes!
K-8 Classroom Ambassadors (formerly known as Room Parents): We need a Classroom Ambassador for each and every K-8 class (advisory for middle school). Classroom Ambassadors will work with teachers to plan special events/requests, communicate with parents regarding volunteer needs and support WAVE in the classroom. This position will also work with our Grade Level Liaisons to build community through events and activities. This is a great way to stay involved when we cannot physically be on campus. Please click HERE to volunteer today. Thank you!
Kudos: Westlake Charter School has partnered with Jibe for over 10 years and on multiple campuses. The ultimate goal is to get more students walking, biking and using public transportation to and from school each day. Jibe sponsors our daily Walking School Bus, leads Project Ride Smart and brings Bike Doc out to repair and tune up bikes for free. The Jibe mission goes beyond schools though. They have many incredible opportunities for North Natomas community members and businesses. We are incredibly thankful for this partnership and look forward to working with Jibe for years to come. To learn more about Jibe please visit https://jibe.org/.