6th Grade Information Night
Tuesday, October 1st @ 6 PM
WAVE Board Meeting
Thursday, October 3rd @ 6:30 PM
October 7th – October 11th
Chili Cook Off
October 16th @ 6 PM
Picture Retake Day
Book Fair: Scholastic Book Fair opens Saturday, September 28th and will end Wednesday, October 2nd. Book Fair eWallet is now available! Give your student a secure, cash-free way to shop the fair. Simply create a free account, preauthorize a spending limit, and have funds immediately available. Click HERE to set up your eWallet. Click HERE to check out the book fair schedule.
- Saturday, September 28th – 2 PM to 6 PM
- Monday, September 30th – 3 PM to 5 PM
- Tuesday, October 1st – 3 PM to 6 PM
- Wednesday, October 2nd – 1 PM to 5 PM
September is Attendance Month: Great job to all of our classes who were at 97% average attendance for the month of September. Students in these classes will attend an attendance celebration!
Explorer Athletics: Volleyball and flag football games start next week! Come out and support our Explorer Athletes Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 3:30 PM to 4:15 PM. Click HERE for the Volleyball schedule and click HERE for the flag football schedule.
October is Bully Prevention Month: In the month of October, Westlake joins with schools across the country to focus on Bullying Prevention Month. This month, we will be participating in a Bully Prevention Assembly brought to us by “The Power of One.” We will also be participating in Nation Wide “Mix-It Up Day”, and be doing presentations in advisory classes.
Walktober: Walk to School Day will be October 16th walk to school and get a treat we will have some fun at Morning LIne Up! Join the Walking School Bus for the Month of October. Remember that the PM walking school bus will go on break starting on October 31st
Fall Break: WCS will be closed for Fall Break Monday, October 7, 2019 through Friday, October 11, 2019. There will be no school that week.
BASE Newsletter: Click HERE for the BASE October Newsletter that includes scheduled activities during Fall Break: BASE will be open from 7am to 6pm during fall break, October 7th – October 11th. Here are some of the fun BASE activities that are planned:
Lost & Found: Our lost and found is overflowing with jackets, lunch boxes, water bottles and more! Please check for any missing items by Friday, October 4th. All unclaimed items will be donated over Fall Break.
Chili Cook Off: Our 7th Annual Westlake Charter school Chili Cook Off is Wednesday, October 16th at 6 PM. This whole school fundraiser is a great way to get together and have some fun and eat a ton of food!
- 6th-8th grade: Participate in a chili competition and a booth decorating competition through advisory classes. Students can earn community service hours and parents can earn volunteer hours. Click HERE to sign up by your advisory class.
- K-5th grade: Participate in dessert and drink donations. Desserts are sold by individual packages or slices. Parents can earn volunteer hours by assisting in both stations. Click HERE to sign up by your classroom teacher.
- Tickets: $5 per person or $20 for a family for all you can each chili and a drink.
- Desserts are sold separately at the dessert booth.
Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT) Fare-Free transit program: Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT) is offering free transportation to all students who attend a school within the city of Sacramento from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020. The sticker will allow your student to ride for free on the entire SacRT network. This includes SacRT buses, light rail, and SmaRT Ride microtransit service. The program is available all day, any day of the week, and all year during regular SacRT service hours. Stickers will be placed on the Student ID cards that will go home on Monday!
WAVE: Don’t forget to click the WAVE tab for more details on the Olympic Triathlon fundraising event that kicks off on October 1st!
In Case You Missed It:
6th Grade Info Night: On Tuesday, October 1st at 6:00 PM we are having our 6th Grade Information Night. We know there is a lot to consider when choosing a Middle School. That evening, we will share how our middle school program compares to other local options. This event is geared toward 5th grade parents and guardians, but all parents and guardians are welcome to attend! Click HERE to RSVP.
Field Refresh: Our staff and families have been concerned about the status of our playing field due to drainage issues and rough patches. We have taken that feedback and coordinated with our Landscaping team to create a plan to correct the issues. During October break, the field repair will begin on half of the field. The east half of the field will be fenced off and unavailable from October Break through Spring Break. The entire field will be reopened after Spring break and remain open through October 2020 when the second half of the field will be repaired.
Missoula Theater Company Returns 11/12 to 11/16: We are so excited to welcome back the Missoula Children’s Theater Company to Westlake Charter School! This year, our K-8th grade students will audition after school on Tuesday, November 12th, and work all week to put on two performances of The Tortoise Versus the Hare on Saturday, November 16th. Families have asked for the dates in advance so they can prioritize Missoula with other competing schedules. Your student will need to be available after school every day 11/12 to 11/15 for rehearsals. Detailed schedules and information will be available in October. Email email@example.com with any questions.
WAVE Meeting: This Thursday, October 3rd, please join us for a WAVE Board Meeting. We will meet in the Media Center (Library) at 6:30pm to discuss upcoming events, hear from our wonderful WCS Admin team and learn about ways to get involved this school year. We have a lot of exciting events coming up and cannot do it without your help and support.
Olympic Triathlon: Our 12th annual Westlake Charter School Olympic Triathlon is here! The Triathlon is not just about fundraising. It is about celebrating and supporting our three specialties of Art, Spanish and P.E. which are led by fully credentialed specialty teachers. Our annual Olympic Triathlon allows WCS to celebrate this trifecta and offer our family, friends and community a way to support this work.
- On Friday, November 1st our students will participate in a special day of learning on the Olympic Triathlon Event Day. This day is completely staffed and planned by our parent volunteers alongside some fabulous WCS staff members. We need your help to make this day fun and successful for our school and students. Please be on the lookout for an event day sign up soon. In the meantime, if you would like to get involved with planning please click HERE and fill out the form to be contacted. We currently need help planning the obstacle course, handing out prizes and more.
- You can get started fundraising today! Please visit http://pledgestar.com/westlakecharter to set up a family donation page. You can customize it with student name(s), a photo and donation goal. It is easy to quickly request sponsors via email or text explaining why WCS is amazing and how they can help us meet our goal this year.
- Our school wide goal is to have each student contribute $180 which represents $1 for every day of school. We encourage families to give what they can whether it is less or more than the goal amount. We are striving for 100% participation from all students to contribute at least $5 towards our Olympic Triathlon Fundraising efforts.
- Over the years families have come up with many creative ways to fundraise during the Olympic Triathlon. Some ideas include: making and selling items, a lemonade or hot cocoa stand, sending a video about why they love WCS to potential donors, garage sales and more. You can raise money any way that works for your family!
- Be on the lookout for information in your student’s backpack regarding the event, prizes, in person collection days and more. Thank you for your continued support!
Kudos: It has been incredible to watch donations flood in over the past week for silent auction baskets. This generosity has a direct impact on our students each and everyday. Thank you Explorer Families!