WCS Governance/Board Meetings
Thursday, September 12th @ 5:30 PM & 6:30 PM
Development Committee Meeting
Monday, September 16th @ 4:30 PM
Social Media Safety Parent Night
Wednesday, September 18th @ 5:30 PM
WCS Finance/Charter Impact Committee Meetings
Thursday, September 26th @ 5:00 PM 6:00 PM
Save the Date: Fall Festival
Saturday, September 28th @ 2 PM
Middle School Fall Athletics Start Next Week: It’s time for the fall Explorer Athletics season! The program is open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. No prior experience is necessary to play, just a positive attitude and a growth mindset. Teams will meet twice a week throughout the season for practices and games. Practice days are consistent, but game days vary due to scheduling. Practices and games last from 3:25 – 4:15 every day except Wednesdays.
- Middle school students wanting to participate in Volleyball or Flag Football need to attend the clinics next week. Volleyball clinics are Monday and Tuesday, September 9th and 10th. Flag football clinics are Thursday and Friday September 12th and 13th. Regular practice schedule begins Monday, September 16th, and games begin Monday, September 30th.
- Click HERE for the Explorer Athletics Participant Packet.
- Click HERE for the Fall Schedule. Email email@example.com with any questions.
Attendance September: September is National Attendance Month! During the Month of September we will be celebrating student attendance. Thank you for ensuring that your students arrive to school on time every day! Classes are working toward earning an attendance party!
Clubs: Do you have a passion you’d like to share with our Explorers? Or maybe you’re looking for a fun way to earn volunteer hours? Look no further! Our fall session of AS Live Clubs is September 23 – October 25. We’re looking for adult volunteers to lead clubs or chaperone clubs lead by middle school students. If you’re at all interested, click HERE to sign up and you will be contacted with more information. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Spirit Days: Our Leadership students have planned our Spirit Days for the 2019-2020 school year! Click HERE for the dates and descriptions of our spirit days!
WAVE: Don’t forget to click the WAVE tab for more details on important upcoming events such as; Social Media Safety Parent Night on 9/15 and the Fall Festival on 9/28!
In Case You Missed It:
Monthly BASE newsletter: Click HERE for the BASE September newsletter.
Volunteer Site: Click HERE to log your hours on our volunteer website. Our goal is to log 20,000 volunteer hours this year and our volunteer website makes it easy! It’s a one-stop shop to log volunteer hours, see upcoming volunteer opportunities, and sign up to volunteer for upcoming WAVE events.
Enrichment Sign Ups: It’s not too late to sign your Explorer up for an incredible enrichment opportunity! Click HERE for the enrichment class offerings. The link at the top of the document will take you to the sign-up form. Email email@example.com with questions.
School Dismissal Manager: Please remember to update your student’s school dismissal manager. As enrichment classes, athletics, and other after school opportunities launch, it is important that we know where your student is going after school each day. Click HERE to log into your School Dismissal Manager account.
If you plan to have your older student pick up their younger student, please select “Walking with an Older Sibling” on School Dismissal Manager. Also please put the name of the older sibling in the note. The younger sibling’s teacher will not allow your student to leave until their older sibling arrives at the classroom.
If you need help accessing your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Call for Coaches: Thank you to Chris Chan, Edwina and Beau Climo, and Jedd Douhab for signing up to coach a volleyball team, and to George Martinez, Aaron Ramirez, Kyle Johnson, and Lorenzo Lee for signing up to coach a flag football team! We have an amazing community, and because of that, we’re only in need of ONE MORE VOLLEYBALL COACH! If you can coach volleyball for us, or are able to referee flag football or volleyball games, click HERE for the detailed fall schedule and click HERE to sign-up to coach or referee. Thank you for demonstrating what’s possible when school and community collaborate through athletics. Email email@example.com with questions.
Social Media Safety Parent Night: The Organization for Social Media Safety will be at Westlake Charter School on Wednesday, September 18th from 6-7:30pm to provide an educational presentation to parents and guardians. We will learn about social media threats, websites, ways to protect students and more. Please Click HERE to learn more about the presentation and the organization. We hope to see you there!
Walking School Bus Kona Shaved Ice Party: On Friday, September 13th the PM Walking School Bus students will enjoy a FREE Kona Shaved Ice upon arrival at Burberry Park (parents and non-participating kids can purchase additional shaved ice at the park). The PM Walking School Bus is a free, staff supervised group that walks students from campus to Burberry Park afterschool, every day! Instead of being stuck in the pick-up line at campus, parents pick up their students at Burberry Park. Kids love the activity and parents love the extra time. The goal is to encourage healthy habits and reduce traffic near school.
- Parents sign-up on School Dismissal Manager.
- Parents receive a free text message when the group has left campus and students scan their Trip Scanner Card (sign-up is free).
- Parents pick up at Burberry Park (corner of Northborough and Club Center drives) by no later than 3:45 pm. Students not picked up by that time will be walked back to BASE.
- Questions? Contact Sondra – SondraWilliams245@yahoo.com
2019 Fall Festival: The 9th annual Fall Festival is Saturday, September 28th from 2pm-6pm! This family event is open to the entire community with games suitable for all ages! The event features food, a scavenger hunt and the ever popular silent auction baskets where all proceeds go directly to the classrooms. To find out how you can get involved please click HERE.
- Volunteering: It takes hundreds of parent volunteers to make this event a success! Most shifts are only 1 hour and opportunities range from decorations/set up, working booths and tear down.
- Donations: From supplies, to lending pop up canopies and coolers, this is another great way to earn hours, especially for those who can’t volunteer the day of! Families can earn hours for the time they spend shopping for the items and bringing it to the school.
- Treat Walk Donations: The Treat Walk is tremendously popular so we need donations (baked or bought) to make sure the game continues throughout the event.
- Please click HERE to find out how to volunteer or donate to this incredible event!
- Ticket Presale: On Wednesday 9/25 and Friday 9/27 we will be selling your height in tickets for $20. Tickets will be available at the Maybrook gate in the morning before lineup and during dismissal.
- Tickets at the Event: Tickets are $1 each or $20/25 tickets. For reference, most games will be 1 ticket while a few will be up to 3 tickets. Food court will be from 1-5 tickets.
- For any questions regarding Fall Festival please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Page: The WAVE Volunteer Page is a great place to find out about upcoming events, sign up to volunteer, log your volunteer hours and check out what our amazing WCS volunteers have been working on. Volunteer hours include anything you were doing to support our staff, students and community. This includes attending WAVE meetings, take home projects, field lessons, coaching a WCS team, working at an event, opening car doors during drop off, buying treats for the cake walk, making chili for the Chili Cook-Off and so much more!
Olympic Triathlon Committee: The Olympic Triathlon is our largest fundraiser of the year and we are looking for volunteers to help us make it the most successful one ever. The event is quickly approaching and we need help with ideas, planning and execution. Please contact Amber Hustead at email@example.com to learn more or join the OT committee. We cannot do it without your help!
Kudos: Our fabulous Walking School Bus program would not be possible without a committed team of volunteers focused on getting our students to and from school safely while helping reduce traffic around our campus and throughout the neighborhood. Westlake Charter students are able to walk to school from Burberry Park five mornings a week and back to the park five afternoons a week. Thank you to each and every adult who has helped with Walking School Bus this year! Special thanks to Melvin Fonseca, Ron Tapping, Rob Hedrick, Chastine Gaspar, Nu-Gina Rogers, Ona Saras, Minling Zhong, Rocio Owens and Meaza Gebremariam.