WAVE Board Meeting – Library
Thursday, August 15th @ 6:30
Coffee Talk – Library
Friday, August 16th @ 8:30-9:30
Monday, August 19th @ 4:30p
Back to School Night
Wednesday, August 21st
WCS Finance/Impact Committee Meetings
Thursday, August 22nd @ 5 PM & 6 PM
WAVE Tab: Don’t forget to click on the WAVE tab of our weekly newsletter. This week we have important information about the Spirit Store, Calendar of Events, Facebook Group, and more.
Dismissal Update: 4-8th grade students who are labeled in School Dismissal Manager as walking students will be dismissed by their teacher at the end of the day to exit campus from either the Maybrook Walking Gate or the Bike Path Gate. 1st-3rd grade students who are labeled as “Walking with an Older Sibling” will be dismissed from their classroom when their sibling arrives at the classroom to pick them up. 1st-3rd grade students will not be dismissed from class to meet their sibling.
Walking School Bus: Our Walking School Bus is back! Westlake has a daily Walking School Bus in the morning from Burberry Park and back in the afternoon. This program is a great way to connect with other families, get fresh air, avoid the school traffic and get some exercise. In the morning we meet at 7:50 and begin walking promptly at 8. In the afternoon students (grades 1st-8th only) meet by the cafeteria and arrive back to Burberry Park by 3:40pm.
Free and Reduced Meal Application: Each year, we ask families to complete a Free and Reduced Price School Meals (FRPSM) application. Students received the application, as well as a cover letter in their backpacks on Friday. We need every student to return the letter with a parent signature and the appropriate check-box selected by Wednesday, August 21st. Even if you choose not to complete the FRPSM application, we still need a letter back for each student so that we can ensure every family had the opportunity to complete the application.
Back to School Night Details: We are looking forward to seeing all of our families at Back to School Night is this Wednesday, August 21st!
- Distraction Free: This is a parent-only event to allow for teachers and families to connect in a distraction free environment. Our BASE program will be open for FREE for all WCS students during back to school night. Click HERE to RSVP for BASE at Back to School Night.
- Food Trucks: Chandos Taco, Kona Ice and Good Dog food trucks will be in our parking lot from 4:45-7:10 pm so families have a food option for this busy evening.
- Kinder through 5th grade families: We have two identical sessions, you only need to attend one. Session one is 6:00-6:30 pm, session two is 6:40-7:10 pm. Specialty teachers will be in their classrooms from 6:00-7:10pm – please stop by!
- 6th-8th grade families: We have two identical sessions, you only need to attend one. Session one is 5:00-5:40 pm, session two is 6:00-6:40 pm. During these sessions, you will meet with your student’s core teachers and specialty teachers.
Fall Picture Day – Save the Date: Fall Picture Day is Monday August 26th. This will be a uniform picture day, not free dress.
Field Lessons and School Supplies: Click HERE to donate toward our school supply and field lesson campaigns.
- School Supplies: Families, this year each grade level has purchased all the school supplies that your students will need for the entire year. We get a great discount as a school, so we like to purchase everything in advance. We ask that if you would like to help out with school supplies, simply make a $25 donation to our School Supplies Campaign and we will take care of the rest.
- Field Lessons: Speaking of donations, each grade level is planning some incredible explorations this year! You can see a list of Field Lessons for each grade level. The school has already paid for these trips, and everyone is going whether we meet our donations goal or not, however, we have set our grade level Field Lessons Donation Goal and placed it on the website to help support these trips. You can help by donating to our Field Lessons Campaign on our donations website – the new website will even break up your donation into smaller monthly donations for you with just the click of a button.
- Click HERE to donate today!
In Case You Missed It:
BASE Newsletter: Click HERE for the August BASE newsletter
Morning Timeline: Please observe the following times when dropping students off in the mornings:
- 7:00-7:50 AM – All students must be checked into BASE. Click HERE for the registration packet.
- 7:50-8:15 AM – Breakfast is available in the cafeteria, or students can play on the blacktop
- 8:12 AM – Middle school students report to advisory
- 8:15 AM – Middle school advisory starts
- 8:25 AM – K-5 students line up at their classroom numbers on the black top.
- 8:30 AM – K-5 morning line up starts
WAVE Coffee Talk: Please join us this Friday, August 16th at 8:30am for the 1st Coffee Talk of the year! We will meet in the library to chat, drink coffee and enjoy some treats. Coffee Talks are a great time to learn more about what is currently happening at WCS, ask Administration questions, offer suggestions and meet other parents
Back to School BBQ: Thank you to all of the families who came out to the Back to School BBQ. It was wonderful to see so many new and returning families catching up and getting to know each other. We appreciate every person who volunteered, offered help, brought a dish to share and helped clean up. One of the best things about the Westlake community is the willingness to step in and help wherever it is needed. We are always better together!
Volunteer Opportunities & Logging Hours: WAVE is looking for volunteers in many areas including: Fireworks Booth, Fall Festival, Olympic Triathlon, International Festival and more. Please contact Jess Wilson, VP of Parent Participation, at email@example.com for more information or to get involved today! You can also visit our Volunteer Page to learn more about opportunities or to log hours for the 19/20 school year. We know many of you worked at the Fireworks Booth, volunteered at the BBQ or volunteered in another way. Please be sure to start logging those hours today!
Spirit Store: The Westlake Charter Spirit Store is open and we have many new items to choose from including sweatpants, hats, polos, coffee mugs and more. Just Click HERE to browse our selection of WCS gear and place your order today. The store closes August 25th and items will be delivered to your student’s backpack starting September 16th.
WAVE Calendar of Events: WAVE has a full calendar of events planned for the upcoming school year and we are excited to share it with you. Please Click HERE to access the full schedule of events, meetings, coffee talks and more. Many events are still in need of leads and volunteers so please contact Amber Hustead, WAVE President, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to start getting involved today. These incredible events cannot happen without your support!
Kudos: The year is off to a fantastic start and we are so excited to welcome 110 Kindergarteners to our Westlake family. It was wonderful to see so many families at Kinder Play Dates, the Boohoo/Wahoo and on the blacktop in the morning. Here’s to a great year at Westlake Charter School!